Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Last Month of Sea Duty

Dominic has been on sea duty for the last three years. After looking back at old calendars, I realized that we have been apart roughly 24 of the last 36 months due to two deployments, several work-ups and an unfortunate T.A.D. during dry dock in Bremerton. I also realized that a lot has happened during that time.

I graduated college in Florida, moved to Washington and managed to find a job in my field. Dominic completed a tour of duty in 2008, spent a better part of a year T.A.D. to the mess decks in Bremerton and is in the process of completing his second tour of duty on the USS Abraham Lincoln. As a couple,  we moved in together, got engaged, planned a wedding and were married (still waiting for that honeymoon).

I think it is safe to say that we are exhausted. I am tired of saying "goodbye," sick of cooking for "one" and completely over being alone. I am sure Dominic is sick of boat food, trying to talk to me via email and wind-tunnel-like phone calls and spending holidays away from family.

So, there are many good things about March: St. Patrick's Day, First day of Spring, my birthday... but the best thing about it will be the day it ends, because when that happens, my husband and I will not have to say "goodbye" for another three years... the question is "How do you live with your spouse?"

1 comment: